1. The average Italian consumes 60 liters of wine and 30 kilograms, or 66 pounds, of pasta per year.
2. The world’s most popular sports cars are made in Italy; these include the Lamborghini, the Ferrari, and the Alfa Romeo, to name a few.
3. Some of the police cars in Italy are Lamborghinis.
4. Italy has two independent states lying within its territory: the San Marino and the Vatican City.
5. The security men guarding the Pope are called the Swiss Guards. They hail from Switzerland and are Catholic.
6. The highest volcano in Europe, Mt. Etna, is found in Italy.
7. Most of William Shakespeare’s plays are set in Italy. The famous “Romeo and Juliet” is set in the fair city of Verona.
8. Italy holds the Guinness world record as the country with the most number of elevators in the world.
9. In all of Europe, Italy has the lowest birthrate.
10. Twenty percent of the Italian population is retired and is receiving state pension. With so few children are being born, there are hardly enough tax payers coming in to cover the pension fund requirement.
Hello fellow travelers! My name is Mary and I am the main author of Traveling East. Just like any other travel enthusiasts, traveling has also been our passion! For inquiries, suggestions or anything travel related, please feel free to send us an E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.