1. Adolf Hitler helped create the Volkswagen Beetle.
2. Although it is considered as the beer capital of the world, Germany actually ranks only third in the world for per capita beer consumption. The top beer drinkers are actually from the Czech Republic (number 1) and Ireland (number 2).
3. Everyone’s favorite candy, the Gummy Bears, was invented by Hans Riegel Sr., who is German.
4. Gummi worms were also first made in Germany, by the company Trolli, whose headquarters are in Bavaria.
5. Ironically, the Oktoberfest, Germany’s best-known festival, takes place mostly in the latter part of September.
6. If you’re looking for an apartment in Germany and happen to see the word unfurnished, this means that there is totally no furniture, no cabinets, no sinks, not even toilets.
7. Contrary to popular notion that there are no speed limits on the German autobahn, around half of all of autobahns actually have posted speed limits.
8. The Ulm Minster, the tallest church in the world, is found in Germany. It stands at 530 feet (161.5 meters) high.
9. In Germany, Holocaust denial is considered a crime.
10. Some of the greatest philosophers the world has ever known – Friedrich Nietzsche, Immanuel Kant, and Schopenhauer – were all German.